SZ and RSZ from ps?

was-John McMillan jcm at mtunb.ATT.COM
Tue Nov 21 01:48:31 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov18.041254.11009 at stb.uu.net> michael at stb.uu.net (Michael Gersten) writes:
>Ok, what do the SZ and RSZ fields really mean?
>
>The best I can figure out is that SZ is total size of a program in 4K
>blocks (fits very closely with what 'size file' tells me), and RSZ is
>an indication of how much is in memory (as opposed to swapped out).

	Good guesses.

	SZ is the sum (p_dsize + p_ssize + p_tsize) [DATA+STACK+TEXT].
		- This IGNORES Shared Library [TEXT+DATA] !

	RSZ is the resident subset of the larger amount.

>The problem? RSZ can be larger than SZ. Programs that are not used for
>ages are not 100% swapped out. Even when multiple compress/uncompress's
>are started up (memory hogs).

	No PROBLEM, n'est ce pas?

	Swapping is declasse.  It DOES happen -- you might be able to
	see it if you try those multiple *compresses with just .5 MB 8)
	-- but it's pretty rare.

>So whats the story? And how does ps report shared mode programs (or
>does the UNIX-PC support shared text?)?

	As noted above -- gee, 'hope I'm correct -- Shared Text
	is reported for EACH process sharing it: They EACH require
	it, right?  (Yes, Virginia, there IS a Shared Text.)

	Shared LIBRARY is more than a bit queer:
		5 pages DATA
		5 pages BSS
		27 pages TEXT  (Yeah! The /bin/file data is in odd order!)
	and it's hidden in the RSZ data.  (The concept of Shared Library
	was a marginal hack onto the creaking Berkeley fragments that
	make up the memory management of the 3B1.)

john mcmillan -- att!mtunb!jcm -- speaking for SELF, not THEM