UNIX PC Reference Manual Deal -- How's the progress?

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Fri Nov 17 17:39:11 AEST 1989

Well things are going well here.  I made the first *official* order
to receive 75 UNIX PC Reference Manuals yesterday (Wednesday, November 15th),
and it looks like I'll be able to fill all those and then some.  If I do
go over the 75, I'll get some more, and there should be no problem
filling those orders as well -- if there is I'll let you know.

I've gotten quite a few mail messages that wanted to know how things are
with the purchase?  Was my check received?  When will they be shipped?

At this point I *cannot* keep up with the incoming mail, and reply to
everyone personally.  So what I did (like any computer hacker would do)
was make a "computerized solution" to my problem.   If you want to find out
your current status, with the UNIX PC Reference Manual deal, please
mail a small message to:

	ref-order at icus.islp.ny.us

That contains the following syntax (note, this program doesn't handle
a lot of cases, it's pretty unforgiving in that respect.  So if you want
to get reply, keep your letters in this form -- remember you are talking
to a computer program!)

PATH	<a good path back to you... make sure at least one site is known>
LNAME	<Last name, the search can be between 2 characters and your entire name>
ZIP	<Zip code, must be at least 5 digits>

eg(s).

PATH	lenny%icus.islp.ny.us at ames.arc.nasa.gov
LNAME	Tropiano
ZIP	11706

--

PATH	uunet!icus!lenny
LNAME	Trop

What you will get in reply to this is:

*** UNIX PC Reference Manual Automatic Inquiry Server **

Name   :	Tropiano, Lenny
Address:	PO Box 1
        	Islip Terrace, NY 11706
Payment:	Chk#124 for $105.00
Status :	Received Payment
        	Not Cashed

The status will change accordingly... to the current state of your order.
The last name isn't case-sensitive, mixing upper case and lower case will
still work.  For validation, both a valid last name and zip code must
be used.

PATH	uunet!ames.arc.nasa.gov!icus!lenny
LNAME	Smith
ZIP	12345

*** UNIX PC Reference Manual Automatic Inquiry Server **

No order found for last name ("Smith")
and zip code ("12345")

If you are sure a order was placed, you waited enough time for US Mail to
arrive, and provided my data entry was accurate -- write me to double check
your missing order (lenny at icus.islp.ny.us).

---
Hope this helps a bit!   Checks will start to be cashed next week (unless
other instructions were given) and orders will start to ship probably at
the end of next week.

-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano            ICUS Software Systems      [w] +1 (516) 589-7930 |
| lenny at icus.islp.ny.us     Telex; 154232428 ICUS      [h] +1 (516) 968-8576 |