Cyclic directories (i-nodes) on the UNIX pc filesystem.

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Thu Nov 9 10:59:33 AEST 1989

When my machine died this evening, I pressed the reset button, after
there wasn't much I could have done.  Since I have installed my "fsokay"
package, the fsck process is verbose on all filesystems.

It was fsck'ing "/" root like it should have, and it said something about
a directory link was wrong, adjust.  I did.  Then it said something
about an unreferenced directory, should it reconnect.  I said yes again.

When the machine rebooted fully, I looked in /lost+found and saw:

# ls -liF /lost+found
total 1
 3388 drwxr-xr-x  3 lenny   icus         48 Nov  5 01:27 003388/

# cd /lost+found/003388
# ls -liF
total 1
 3388 drwxr-xr-x  3 lenny   icus         48 Nov  5 01:27 icus/

Now I thought that was strange, the i-nodes were the same.  Of course
it pointed around in circles!

# cd /lost+found/003388/icus
# ls -liF
total 1
 3388 drwxr-xr-x  3 lenny   icus         48 Nov  5 01:27 icus/

Around and around... How did this happen in the first place?  I guess
the only way to get rid of this is using (/etc/clri) and clear the
i-node, and then fsck the root partition again.

-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano            ICUS Software Systems      [w] +1 (516) 589-7930 |
| lenny at icus.islp.ny.us     Telex; 154232428 ICUS      [h] +1 (516) 968-8576 |