Is there word processing software for UNIX PC ??

Jim Gottlieb jimmy at icjapan.uucp
Mon Nov 13 15:37:51 AEST 1989

In article <1605 at novavax.UUCP> rwright at novavax.UUCP (Ronald K. Wright) writes:

>There is SMART which is apparently written by Innovative Software of
>Lenexa, Kansas.  It is a great package, currently up to revision 3.10

It's the one product for our lowly machine that AT&T actually supports
in the way of new software.  I was more than shocked when the offer
came through for a FREE upgrade to 3.1.

>Also, it cannot be the word processor for electronic mail, at least I
>have never figured out how to make it work as it will not take a file
>name.

Well, it can but you probably don't want it to.  First of all, it won't
take file names that begin with a '.' like mailx and mush use, so you
have to modify mush (most of us don't have the source to mailx) to use
a slightly different prefix on temp file names.  And to start Smart
with a file name, you must do something like
smartwp -aload filename

This I also accomplished in mush.  But then there is the problem that
you can not turn on word-wrap in ASCII mode so you must remember to hit
return at the end of each line.  And the fact that when Smart exits, it
leaves you with a full-screen, but bordered, window.

So, it _is_ possible, but unless someone only knows Smart, it is better
to use a real text editor for mail.

>It appears to have beeen written to UNIX from DOS.

Most definitely!

>Call Smart in Lenexa, Ks they will give you the name of someone to

It is sold only through AT&T and its dealers.  For a while the whole
package was selling for $250.  I believe it's now about $650.

By the way, I saw the DOS version (normally $695) for only $80 at an
Egghead Surplus Store, so I grabbed a few for my poor DOS-using
friends.  I can't resist a deal like that.  There is now a newer
version for DOS, but after registration of the $80 version, they
allow you to upgrade for just a few dollars more.
--
Jim Gottlieb 					Info Connections, Tokyo, Japan