Remote Printing

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Mon Oct 9 12:56:02 AEST 1989

In article <1989Oct7.235927.23193 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:

[... 7300's uucp problems]

> Is there any way of resolving these problems short of installing network
> cards in all machines an putting up Starlan? Why does the server crash?

There have been a couple of fixdisk releases to help deal with this problem
but it may not be completely solved yet.  Getting HoneyDanber UUCP is
supposed to fix it, but unfortunately HDB is only available inside of AT&T.
I think the problem involved the clist buffers gradually going away until
there are none left. It might help to reboot the machines fairly often, but
I've never succeeded in getting the machine to reboot cleanly from software.

I would hesitate to add Starlan to a 7300 unless there is no chance of adding
any new machines to the net.  The version of Starlan software that is
available for the 7300 is not compatible with the current versions for
3B2, 386, or PC's.  It does work reliably for uucp, though (no RFS since
you don't have SysVr3).

Les Mikesell