Remote Printing

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.uucp
Sun Oct 8 09:59:27 AEST 1989

I got the following query on Compuserve.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

 We have 7 AT&T 7300's in our organization. We use the internal modems and
 UUCP based E mail package which is written using the User Agent for com-
 munications. (The poor man's LAN - one half a step up from SneakerNet.) We
 have one printer which is shared by all 7 7300's. Six of the remote 7300's
 send their print jobs to the one "print server" 7300 via the remote print-
 ing facility built into the User Agent. We are running the latest version
 3.51 of operating system software.

 We have extensive problems with the server 7300 locking up requiring a hard
 reset to clear when receiving remote printing jobs. The problem is very er-
 ratic. Days will go by without a problem. The server seems to be unable to
 "open a window" in the background to accept the incoming UUCP? Unable to
 UUX? Occasionally the problem will also lock up a sending 7300 but this is
 much less frequent.

 With 6 remote 7300`s sending print jobs we do have a significant number of
 collisions (server modem busy). I wrote a simple script to remove the sys-
 tem lock (STST.systemname) and run the UUCP daemon to "try again" which is
 useful to the sending 7300's.

 Is there any way of resolving these problems short of installing network
 cards in all machines an putting up Starlan? Why does the server crash?

--
Pete Holsberg                UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College               CompuServe: 70240,334