Power Supplies

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sat Oct 21 17:48:30 AEST 1989

John Devitofranceschi in <1989Oct18.211511.10883 at brutus.cs.uiuc.edu> asks:

	Well, I got my power supplies today for my 7300.  I installed one, but
	I found that there was only one power line for the fans (I need 2
	lines).

	Right now, I'm running with only one fan.  Is this considered "ok"? I
	have my disk outside the box, so the only big thing generating any
	heat in there is the power supply (and I hooked up the fan closest to
	that).

The 3B1 operates with but one fan, and mine (except for during the earthquake
(more on that in another posting)) operate 24 hours/day, 7 days/week.  If you
look at where the fan wires are connected to the printed circuit board (on the
supplies from Halted), you'll note that EACH location has solder holes for two
fan wires.  You could "simply" remove the dual wire-sets from the older supply
and solder them to the new supply; I did that for my 7300 systems, although I
am tempted to operate with just one fan in each 7300 (to reduce the noise).

	Question:  Does anyone know where extra 3b1 case tops can be obtained?
	Are they still ridiculously cheap? Please let me know
	by e-mail. advTHANKSance

Last "we" checked, DDS was out of stock, but the caller was informed that
more are being sought.  I'm sure Jan (of DDS) will post info when more case
tops are located.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]