zip for the 3b1?

Charles A. Anderson caa at garnet.ssd.cdc.com
Thu Oct 19 03:58:25 AEST 1989

(I wasn't aware of pkxarc for the 3b1, I didn't think pkware released the
source..)  Howard Chu ported arc 5.21 to unix, this works great.  Rahul
Desi (sp?) wrote zoo, and made it portable, it compiles on unix just fine.
zoo does subdirectories, arc doesn't.  Pkzip is pkarc renamed because
SEA (the makers of arc) got mad at Phil Katz (the author of pkstuff) and
sued him.  THe pkzip format is different from pkarc.  There is also lharc
this came from japan, and does a better job of compression than the others,
it is also slower.  The best thing to use tar and compress.  Tar handles
subdirectories, and all of that good stuff, and compress does a better job
of compression than arc and zoo (they both use LZW 13 bit, compress uses
LZW 16 bit) I'm not sure about how well lharc compresses compared to compress.

Anyone else want to join the archiver of the month club?

-Charlie
--
Charles Anderson |  caa at garnet.ssd.cdc.com \ Disclaimer: I said what?
----------------/     caa at midgard.mn.org     \           But CDC didn't.