g++/gcc on unixpc

Ken Kubiak kubiak at bach.csg.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 17 00:32:19 AEST 1989

I've been trying to build g++ (near-1.36 version from labrea) on the unixpc.
I began by using the 1.36 gcc compiler avaliable from cheops.  Since g++
requires the gcc .o files anyway, Istarted rebuilding gcc 1.36 myself using
gcc 1.35 (which I built earlier using the gcc 1.30 compiler from umn ?).
Anyway, the problem I have with gcc 1.36 on the unixpc applies to both the
binaries from cheops and the first-level binary I built.

When gcc is called as a loader (i.e., with a bunch of .o's), I get an error:

*** ld: command line *** -l can't find /libc.a
*** ld: command line *** -l can't find /libg++.a

Two questions:  (1) why is it looking for these?  Doesn't it just need gnulib?
                (2) why can't it find libc.a anyway?

By the way, I edited the linker spec in gcc.c so as not to put -lc and -lg++
on the line, but then I have a bunch of undefineds, like "exit" and "fprintf"
w/o leading underscores.

I suppose I can use ld directly, but I'm curious about this problem.
Perhaps the kind person who built the 1.36 binary on cheops can give be a hint
on how he/she got past stage1.

Of course, if anybody has already built g++ for the unix-pc (aka 3b1, 7300),
that would save me a lot of headache.  If so, perhaps we could have the
binaries posted to cheops.

Thanks in advance,
Ken Kubiak
kubiak at csg.uiuc.edu