COMBO driver installation hanging my system

Chris Lewis clewis at ecicrl.UUCP
Wed Oct 4 23:43:24 AEST 1989

I have the following problem and I was wondering if someone out there
has any clues, my machine is a 3b1, UNIX 3.5.1.4, 2Mb memory, 67 Mb disk,
wind and lipc drivers loaded, and I'm trying to install a 0K EIA
COMBO board with 3.0 driver software.

When I try to load the EIA driver software using floppy install, the
installation hangs during the "Loading driver" phase.  Interestingly enough,
after ctrl-\ (QUIT) the driver is loaded and works.  It didn't get far enough
to tell the system to load the CMB on boot (is it supposed to?).
When I try loading from the "install" load device menu, it hangs.
I managed to find the file which indicates which drivers to load on boot,
but when the system rebooted it also hangs, but the file "cmb" gets removed,
so the next boot appears to work.  Another symptom: /usr/lib/ua/CMB232.menu
is zero length (presumably it should have something in it?)

Any idears?  Yes, I know, I should upgrade to a newer 3b1 software release,
but before trying to track *that* down, I'd like to have some assurance
that it will fix my problem.
--
Chris Lewis, R.H. Lathwell & Associates: Elegant Communications Inc.
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo}!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis