SLIP on the UNIX PC?

Steve Barber steveb at shade.UUCP
Wed Oct 4 14:49:59 AEST 1989

A friend of mine with a 3B1 is now living downstairs from me, and we've
hardwired our 3B1's together via a 19200 bps bidirectional serial line
with a uugetty on each end.  This works out great..  however, now we
want more.

We tried setting up the KA9Q package and found that it worked...very
slowly, and only interactively.

What we're really looking for is some sort of a SLIP implementation
that is handled by the system (as opposed to KA9Q, which is interactive
and run by the user.)  We are looking for functionality that will let
us 'rlogin' and 'ftp' between our two systems.  It must be based on
the SLIP protocol, implying that any number of connections between
our two systems may be open simultaneously.

We are reluctant to break UUCP between our two systems.  One possibility
would be a front-end to uucico that would do SLIP-type things on the
SLIP line, otherwise just exec the real uucico.

If anyone has ever before attempted such a feat, I would very much like
to hear how you went about it.  If no one has, I may take a shot at it
anyway.  It seems like a worthwhile kind of thing!

It seems to me that a daemon process could be run in the background.
This daemon would be responsible for managing communications and the
SLIP protocol over the line, and taking requests from other local
processes for SLIP connections (via some form of IPC).

This isn't entirely satisfactory - I'd much rather have it work as
a real device driver.  I don't know much about device drivers though...
Seems like this device driver needs to use the device driver for the
port that will be the SLIP port.  Is that legal?  Possible?
(BTW: can anyone tell me how to get the device driver docs that
have been mentioned before?)

Any pointers to relevant documentation for SLIP, FTP, rlogin, etc.
would be appreciated as well.  (No particular reason this project
MUST follow standard protocols - just that they're already designed.)

Thanks.  Should this turn into a working project, it will of course
be posted to the net.
--
--**-Steve Barber----steveb at shade.Ann-Arbor.MI.US----(cmode)-------------------