install problems with B news

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Mon Oct 16 06:36:30 AEST 1989

In article <932 at becker.UUCP> news at becker.UUCP (UseNet News) writes:
|>I'm running (for the moment) B news 2.11, patchlevel 14.
|>
|>For some reason, I've been getting the following message
|>several times in the news log right after expire has run -
|>
|>	Cannot install </usr/spool/news/...>: File exists
|>
|>where "..." is some news article pathname.
|>
|>I'm not sure where to look for this - The system is an AT&T 3B1
|>running System V rel. 2 with some rel. 3 extensions. I'm using
|>"dbm" and file locking.

To me this looks like your history isn't correct.  What I'd suggest to
do is an
	nohup /usr/lib/news/expire -r -v >/tmp/expire.log 2>&1 &

To rebuild your history from scratch.  What probably happened is you
got the article again, and it found the same file name.  The other thing
might be is the "seq" file is wrong.  Or if all else fails, remove all
the news directories (and files) and start from scratch.

-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano            ICUS Software Systems      [w] +1 (516) 589-7930 |
| lenny at icus.islp.ny.us     Telex; 154232428 ICUS      [h] +1 (516) 968-8576 |