3b1 floppy problems

William Mahavier wsm at mathcs.emory.edu
Sun Feb 4 08:06:11 AEST 1990

I have recently had the following problems (3b1, 67m, vers.3.51):
First my floppy started giving intermittent read/write problems.
Next my hard disc refused to boot. I replaced the power supply
and all seemed ok for a while. Then I started getting intermittent
floppy read/write errors again. I tried swapping out the floppy drive
and all seemed ok at first but the read/write errors started again.
I found that the floppy would read 3 or 4 discs, and then start giving
errors. I could leave the floppy alone for a few hours and then it
would read or write 3 or 4 discs and then start giving errors again.
I assumed it was a heat problem with the heat generated from the floppy
drive motor. I have only one fan on the power supply side. So I tried
swapping out the socketed WD2797 floppy controller chip with one from
a 7300. The same problems persist.

I am at a loss as to what to try next. I will certainly appreciate
any suggestions. I did think I might add a fan on the floppy disc side.
Otherwise I don't know what to do except sent it off to whoever it is
in California that works on this machine.

I do have the error messages from /usr/adm/unix.log but don't know
what they mean.

Thanks in advance for any help.

W. S. Mahavier    wsm at mathcs.emory.edu    ....gatech!emory!wsm
Emory University