new Quick C "2" ?

Geoff Rimmer geoff at warwick.UUCP
Wed Jan 18 10:08:57 AEST 1989

In article <2759 at skivs.UUCP> dr at skivs.UUCP (David Robins) writes:
>I just saw a new book on "Using QuickC" by Werner Feibel. This is the
>new 1989 copywrite book, not the 1988 one I already have.  It is said
>to cover the original QuickC as well as version 2.
>
>Has anyone heard about this new version?  When is it coming out.  How
>about updates from version 1.01?   It seems to me I heard about
>a new MSC QuickC that would handle all the memory models in the
>integrated environment, and would remember watches and beakpoints
>across compiles, etc.

The problems I have found with QuickC (1.00 and 1.01) are :

(a) what you mention, about not being able to compile from the editor
in large memory model.  Hope this V2 comes out soon!

(b) with the combined package of MSC 5.1 and QC 1.01, I found that the
'make' program which came with MSC 5.1 took up too much room in the
memory for qcl to be executed.  Hence, I have had to use the previous
version of make, which I got with QC1.00, simply to compile my programs!

(c) my C program is constantly too big for 'link' - when the object
files are linked together, I frequently get the error "Stack plus data
exceed 64K".  The only way I have found of getting around this problem
is to take out several functions in my code (usually functions that I
*want* in the program, but don't 100% *need* ).  However, soon, it is
going to come to a point when I am only left with essential functions
and I am going to have big problems!

Can anyone help me out on (b) & (c) ?

I am using a DELL 200 series 640K RAM, and am compiling in large
memory model.

Also, can someone tell me the difference between QC1.00 and QC1.01 -
there was no documentation to show any differences.

Geoff

	Geoff Rimmer, Computer Science, Warwick University, England.
			geoff at uk.ac.warwick.emerald

	"Why don't we go out for one NON-alcoholic drinkie?"
	"Such as?"
	"Vodka"

		- Filthy Rich and Catflap, 1986.