Looking for Microsoft Windows developer's library

Bruce Wright bcw at rti.UUCP
Fri Jan 20 09:04:21 AEST 1989

In article <3408 at sdsu.UUCP>, roetzhei at sdsu.UUCP (William Roetzheim) writes:

>   I'm developing a new software program, and am considering developing
> the software to run under Microsoft Windows.  I'm aware of a Microsoft
> product called the "Windows Developer's Library" or something like
> that.  The problem is, it's quite expensive (about $450 retail, about
> $250 from SDSU).  What exactly is in this package?  Is it worth it?  Is
> it necessary (i.e. would a good book do as much for me)?  Does anyone
> have it and want to sell it cheap?

The Windows Developer's Kit (which I'm assuming you are referring to) is
not simply documentation -- though it has a fair amount of that too (3
thick looseleaf notebooks).  It also includes a modified linker and other
programming tools (like C include files and icon writing programs) required
to write Windows programs.  I suppose you could do without it *IF* you were
sufficiently well-versed in Windows to duplicate all that code, but why
bother?  It would take more of your time than you could possibly save
(unless you are going to write -better- versions of those utilities, and
-sell- them).  Probably the most essential component is the linker --
Windows programs use a different format of .EXE file (similar to an OS/2
.EXE file), so you can't just use the DOS linker!!

You might however want to get a book on writing code for Windows - two
that aren't bad are "Programming Windows" by Charles Petzold (published
by Microsoft Press), and "Graphics Programming under Windows" by
Brian Myers and Chris Doner (published by Sybex).

Good luck --

						Bruce C. Wright