Tabs vs. Spaces

Eric S. Raymond eric at snark.UUCP
Mon Jan 2 02:04:43 AEST 1989

In article <2584 at ficc.uu.net>, peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>                                    Indenting one tabstop is just a
> convention and a sop to the fact that nobody has ever produced a popular
> language-directed editor for 'C'.

GONG! Ever heard of `electric-C-mode', Mr. da Silva? Your friendly local EMACS
will have one. It maintains indent levels with the greatest of ease, using
optimum mixes of tabs and spaces to do so (it can be told to use spaces only).
It has a reindent-block command. And it can be configured to indent for most C
coding styles. I never leave $HOME without it...
--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      Email: eric at snark.uu.net                       CompuServe: [72037,2306]