RE Zortech problems

John Birchfield jb at altair.uucp
Sun Feb 25 02:36:40 AEST 1990

In article <00020 at meph.UUCP> gsarff at meph.UUCP (Gary Sarff) writes:
>In article <48cc3c8b.20b6d at apollo.HP.COM>, nelson_p at apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) writes:
>>

>> I was quite nonplussed by some email I received from Walter Bright
>> on his BBS in Washington State in which he said that my criticism
>> of Zortech in a "public" and "insulting" manner was "not appreciated".
>> And that I should restrict my "public comments to polite requests
>> for help".
>>
>> After spending a ton of money on the original compiler and another ton
>> of money in toll calls to Arlington and long-distance calls to Washington
>> State, I've got to be polite, too?!   To begin with, I'm not a very polite
>> person.   And, anyway, I didn't think I was *that* insulting.  Everything
>> I said was true.   In the past I've talked to the technical support staffs
>> of XYQuest, 5th Generation Systems (Fastback), Softlogic, Lotus, Quarter-
>>  .... [deleted]
>>
>>                                                ---Peter
>
>It sounds like this person has a problem, (maybe the whole company has a
>problem.)  I have been very glad for your posting, I gave it to a person here
>at work that had been looking for a compiler for a pc so he could see what
>dealing with Zortech might be like.  Of course this point is irrelevant to
>the actual quality of their compiler, and the fact that the pc user wanting
>C++ really doesn't have much choice _but_ Zortech.  But I think things like
>this should be discussed in a public forum, that is how competition works,
>and if another company sees this and decides that they will do better,
>then Zortech had also better improve or go under, their choice.  With some
>companies, the spread of public opinions like this is the only leverage
>the poor customer has to make the company do anything.  And if someone can't
>stand the light of public scrutiny they should go hide under a rock.

>                          I _don't_ live for the Leap!
>     ..uplherc!wicat!sarek!gsarff

As a Zortech (formerly Datalight) customer I think the above interchange
could use a little input from another bias.  I first bought the Datalight
compiler because it could handle interrupt code from C (Microsoft and
Borland had it later - (actually I think the capability was in Wizard C,
Borlands ancestor also, but I couldn't afford the price, I got Datalight for
between 100 and 150 $)).

Each time the compiler was upgraded, I could upgrade for a relatively
nominal sum (compared to Microsoft or Borland).  In the process of following
the upgrade path I have ended up with a C++ compiler.

I do not use Zortech C in a production environment because the company I work
for uses Microsoft and Turbo. They use Turbo because they need the 386
capabilities of the Turbo Debugger.  The code I work on was written in
Microsoft so I use Microsoft.

I do use Zortech C at home and in a programming support capability.  I like
it because I can generate .COM files, and because of its compile speed and
because I "like the feel of it".

All three products (Borland, Microsoft, and Zortech) have their
idiosyncracies.  I think all three are good solid products and choosing
between them is somewhat personal (unless of course you already have 180,000
lines of code already written and tested with compiler 'x').

I have never called the Zortech hot line to get an answer to technical
questions.  I have called Microsoft on my nickel and not been satisfied.
I have called Zortech regarding upgrades and shipping questions.  I have
been assisted in a courteous manner each time I called.  All I can say is it
has worked for me so far.

I have submitted several bugs to Walter directly on the net via his data-io
address.  I like that better than writing a letter and posting it.
I currently have one outstanding which I submitted in December.  I checked
on it a few weeks ago and was told it's in the queue. Try doing that with
Microsoft or Borland (probably possible through a third party on compuserve
which I don't subscribe to).

I can also understand Mr. Bright's (refered to as 'this person' by Mr.
Sarff) inclination to respond to Mr. Nelson, however, Mr. Nelson does have a
point.  He was not happy with his treatment at the hands of Zortech's
technical staff.  Zortech can do two things about this problem.  They can
make their technical support as accessable as Microsoft, or they can make it
better.  The fact that 90% of Zortech's exposure on the net the last few
weeks has been 'RE Zortech Problems' should be a good indicator.

I will continue to maintain my Zortech compiler for personal use (and
professionally where applicable) for the following reasons.

	1.  The product continues to improve.
	2.  Zortech acts as a force to prod Microsoft and Borland to
	    continue to improve their own products.
	3.  When I find problems, I can report them directly to Mr. Bright
	    without going through the various administration levels of
	    Zortech.
	4.  I like using the compiler.  It's fast and reliable.