open this package and you're stuck with it

Dan L. Pierson pierson at encore.com
Thu Feb 22 05:39:21 AEST 1990

In article <777 at lectroid.sw.stratus.com> jmann at bigbootay.sw.stratus.com (Jim Mann) writes:

   If you answer yes to the above, does this mean that you should be able to
   return any book that you buy but don't like?

No, it means that I should either be able to open the book and look
trough it at the bookstore until I'm convinced it's worth buying or
that the reputable mail-order dealer I'm ordering from will provide
a money-back guarantee.  I find that both are common practice.  With
software:

    1. You can't tell if it's a piece of junk before you open it and
       try to use it.

    2. The author/manufacturer explicitly refuses to claim that it
       isn't said piece of junk.
--

                                            dan

In real life: Dan Pierson, Encore Computer Corporation, Research
UUCP: {talcott,linus,necis,decvax}!encore!pierson
Internet: pierson at encore.com