Usenix vs. Uniforum

Monte Pickard monte at oblio.UUCP
Wed Jan 7 16:09:44 AEST 1987

In article <562 at brl-sem.ARPA>, ron at brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
> UNIFORUM - Originally the name given to the combined /usr/group and USENIX
>    show, I think this name is actually owned by /usr/group.  Anyhow the
>    twice a year /usr/group /vendr/show has the spiffiest Exhibition Floor
>    but the talks and the tutorials seem to hit things like how to raise
>    venture capital and the like which may or may not interest you.
>
> Over the past few years USENIX and /vendor/show have tried to at least
> partially arrive in the same cities at the same time.  Washington, D.C.
> two years ago was the first.  Dallas was the second, and now it returns
> to Washington.
>
> -Ron

Actually the first 'joint' conference was in San Diego, called Unicom,
in 1982.  /usr/group was 'using the coat tails' of usenix to launch
their more commercial shows.  The real politics started then.
Usenix was always good for the technocrats.  Both seems to have value now,
whether in the same city, at the same time, or not.

Monte Pickard - Counterpoint Computers