Usenix vs. Uniforum

Kurt L. Reisler klr at hadron.UUCP
Thu Jan 8 01:52:39 AEST 1987

In article <562 at brl-sem.ARPA> ron at brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:

>Societies
>---------
>DECUS - DEC User Society.  They run there own conventions and other
>  activities.  While they have UNIX special interest groups, they are
>  DEC Hardware rather than UNIX software oriented.
>
>Conferences
>-----------
>
>DECUS - Lots of things going on at once for VAX, PDP-11's, DEC-20's,
>   etc... including sessions for nearly every DEC Operating System.
>   In addition some non-DEC specific panels on things like networking
>   are also scheduled.

Excuse me, but as UNISIG Chair, I have to object to the first
statement, and expand on the second.  While there is a natural bias
toward DEC hardware at DECUS, the orientation of the UNISIG (UNIX SIG)
is toward UNIX and UNIX products.  There happens to be a DEC UNIX
product called UNTRIX.  We have had presentations from various non-DEC
vendors, including SUN and AT&T.   We are always looking for UNIX
oriented talks for the symposiums.  Remember that for the most part,
UNIX is portable to a wide spectrum of hardware, and what solves a
problem for you on a piece of DEC or AT&T iron, may also solve your
problem on a SUN or some other hardware.

As for the symposium itself, "Lots of things" does not cover it.  There
is so much going on it can cause burn-out.  The symposium last 5 days,
with sessions usually running from 9 to 5 on three days and 9 to 11 on
two days.  There are 21 parallel tracks of sessions, about 1000+ over 5
days.  There are also other activites going on as well.

 Kurt Reisler
 UNISIG Chairman, DECUS US Chapter                       | Hadron, Inc.
 ..{seismo|sundc|rlgvax|dtix|decuac}!hadron!klr          | 9990 Lee Highway
 Sysop, Fido 109/74  The Bear's Den (703) 671-0598       | Suite 481
 Sysop, Fido 109/483 Wash-A-RUG     (703) 359-6549       | Fairfax, VA 22030