Next: USENIX Conf

Mark Horton mark at cbnews.ATT.COM
Wed Jul 13 05:39:00 AEST 1988

In article <5587 at utah-cs.UUCP> donn at utah-cs.UUCP (Donn Seeley) writes:
>To give you an idea, the last time there was a Usenix in San Diego, we
>had a Santa Ana for several weeks that ended on the weekend before the
>conference.  During the conference the weather was chilly and miserably
>wet.  So it goes.

I remember that conference.  The news media were all horrified at the
"worst storms in 50 years" that had hit San Diego that week.  4 or 5
idiots who had built their house right on the beach got it washed away.

My own observation of the weather, from the conference site a mile or
so inland, was that it only rained between midnight and 6 AM when I
was asleep anyway, it was shirtsleeve weather, and it was far, far
better than the routine snow cover I had left in Ohio.

San Diego has civilized weather.  70 degrees year round.  The only time
the locals gripe seriously about the climate is in June when it gets
foggy.  Not to mention some of the best beaches with the least crowding
I've ever seen.  (You may need a wet suit in January if you actually
want to go in the water.)

I'm starting to get homesick...

	Mark