WARN users of caffeine pills, codeine-based headache remedies

rja rja at edison.GE.COM
Mon Jun 20 02:35:41 AEST 1988

In article <88Jun16.184430edt.20815 at sq.sq.com>, bud at sq.uucp (Bud Greasley) writes:
> I am informed by my spies that the U.S.A., once ``the land of the
> free'', is now in such a state that even CAFFEINE PILLS
> (taken to stay awake at boring committee meetings), and CODEINE
> PILLS used for mild headaches, are grounds for major reprisals
> by the state.
>
> Now these "drugs" are freely available in Canada, over the counter
> without prescription or other form of permission, so people here tend
> not to think of them as serious business.

  Actually caffeine pills are sold "over the counter" (meaning anyone can
buy them without a prescription or anything) in all 50 states and are in
actual fact LEGAL.  Some forms of codeine are contained in "over the counter
medicine" sold in the US, in particular many cough medicines sold here
contain codeine.  Things aren't terribly different here in the USA from
Canada.

  Heck, I've never been hassled by US/Canadian Customs going either way on
foot or by car; so I doubt that normal folks have much to worry about.  On
the other hand real drug users/smugglers hopefully do have something to worry
about.