list inexpensive hotels and hostels for conferences

Jerry Peek jdpeek at rodan.acs.syr.edu
Sun Jul 8 21:22:59 AEST 1990

In article <1501 at ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> maa at ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark A Allyn) writes:
> I have noticed that the material that I get as a member of Usenix
> about conferences and workshops only lists the *expensive* hotels
> in the area.

Even though I live in New York, I knew the Anaheim area well enough that
I matched my Entertainment '90 discount hotel lists to the Anaheim area,
and ended up with a $35/night room on Beach Blvd.  But then I got to
the convention center and found lots of motels advertising walk-in
prices around that amount.  If I could've known ahead of time...

If there is *one* person in each city who'd volunteer... to drive
around the area of the conference hotel one afternoon, looking for
cheaper places to stay... and post a list of motels and phone numbers
a few months before a conference... it would save a lot of people a
lot of $$.  Volunteers for Dallas?  Opryland?

--Jerry Peek; Syracuse University Academic Computing Services; Syracuse, NY
  jdpeek at rodan.acs.syr.edu, JDPEEK at SUNRISE.BITNET        +1 315 443-3995

P.S.  One of the best things about staying at a conference hotel is that
you can meet people at (and get kicked out of :-)) bars, hot tubs, etc.
But just because our rooms are a mile or two away doesn't mean we
couldn't stay at the conference hotel until late, anyhow.