Disgusting Code

Bart Massey bart at reed.UUCP
Sun Feb 9 13:24:33 AEST 1986

IN Article <168 at pyuxv.UUCP>, George Bogatko says:
> 	Why don't we ... have a "Most Disgusting Code" award?
> 	Here, to start the ball rolling, is my entry.
> 	printf("%s me\n",(a=getchar()-48)<4?&(a["\0\005\015\022"]["help\0abandon\0save\0lose"]):"wrong");

Sorry to pick your article to pick on, but
(strike match, open valve, FLAME ON)

I CAN'T STAND IT ANY MORE!!!!!!  It's not just that we archive net.sources
here (although we do, and it's filling up even faster than one would expect).
It's not even just that I'm sick and tired of three of four net.sources
articles being something other than useful sources (although I am).
It's the fact that no one even bothers to complain any more!  The legitimate
users of this group (the people who want to post and receive useful sources)
seem to have given up altogether.

But it's not strictly anyone's fault.  My Followup-To line should indicate
one major problem.  NET.SOURCES.D is needed badly!!   Then those of us who
want to see just the new sources can -- the only purpose of newsgroups!

By the way, Mr Bogatko, your "idea" happens about every six months in
net.unix-wizards and other groups.  This is one of the reasons I don't
subscribe to them.  Nothing personal -- I guess your site doesn't keep
news archives.  But I just thought you should know...

(cover eyes, step forward, close valve, flame off...)

My apologies for posting this diatribe to net.sources.  I guess I just
thought I'd make one last-ditch attempt at heading back toward "all sources"
in this group.  Please move discussion at least to net.sources.bugs
at this point (at least it's a discussion group, although clearly not
the right one.  Is there any right one in existence?  Am I missing something?)

					Wearing out the 'n' key...
						Bart Massey
						..tektronix!reed!bart