IBM-PC keyboard for 6300 has anyone done this?

Bill Mayhew wtm at neoucom.UUCP
Thu Nov 27 00:18:39 AEST 1986

I don't think that merly rewiring the plug on an IBM keyboard
is adequate to get it to work with the 6300.  It looks like the
baud rate is different to me, as I couldn't get it to work.  Two of
our 6300s here have replacement keyboards.  One machine has an AT&T
version of the Keytronic 5151 which even comes with a db-9 on the
end of the cord.  Another person got a keyboard form on of those
places that sends you all those little postcards in a plastic bag.

The latter keyborad was (I think) $149 and came with sidekick.  It
also had an IBM-like socket and a little extension cord to convert
to the 6300's db9.  Alas, the IBM socket did nothing when plugged
into an IBM.  If anybody really cares, send me mail, and I'll get
you the name of the company; I forget it at the moment.

By the way, one of my older 6300's that was in the days of 256K and
10 meg drives did indeed come with all the chips soldered to the
board.  The only socket in the machine was a blank one for the
8087.  We flamed the AT&T salesperson, who produced the AT&T memory
expansion card to get it up to 512K.  I was suprised when I
observed that the AT&T memroy card has to go in one of the slots
that has the short socket near the front of the machine, although I
don't see any reason why you couldn't use one of the expansion
cards for regular pc-compatibles.

  --Bill

(wtm at neoucom.UUCP)