Has anyone gotten a Trailblazer working on tty000 (UNIXPC)

John C. Sucilla jcs at tarkus.UUCP
Thu Feb 4 15:16:59 AEST 1988

In article <241 at icus.UUCP> lenny at icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>I am considering upgrading to a faster modem (the on board modem at
>1200 baud doesn't cut it anymore)... I'll like to get a 2400 baud modem,

I had my PC6300 directly connected to my 3B1 on tty000 for awhile. This didnt
last long because when I powered the 6300 down the 3B1 would panic every once
in a while. Later I tried connecting my AT&T 4024 modem to tty00. This
"worked" but had some weird problems of it's own, at least it never crashed
the machine. The main problem I had with this was that uugetty (HDB uucp)
would start talking to the modem which was in Hayes mode. Uugetty thought
somebody was trying to login, this could go on for hours. I don't remember
what was causing this right now but it sure was a pain in the butt.

Things are running a lot better now that the modem is connected to tty001
and the Hardware Flow Control (HFC) package from the STORE! is installed.
The first difference I noticed was that the DTR lamp was off until CD got
asserted. On tty000, DTR was always there. There is still one problem
with this configuration though, when a remote user dials in and gets
blown off the machine for some reason the users shell never terminates
even though CD went away. If they logoff normally uugetty launches again
as expected.

Oh, by the way, I don't know if HFC is available to non AT&T personnel
and I hope I'm not starting another "We can't get HDB so shut up" wars.
--
John "C" Sucilla
{ihnp4}!tarkus!jcs

Don't let reality stop you....