Query about the quality of UNIX/PCs and 3b1's (really 3b1 unix)

Dr. Robin Lake rbl at nitrex.UUCP
Tue Feb 2 22:34:55 AEST 1988

In article <2519 at oxtrap.UUCP> rich at oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) writes:
>In article <2208 at crash.cts.com> ford%kenobi at crash.CTS.COM (Michael Ditto) writes:
>>In article <2420 at oxtrap.UUCP> rich at oxtrap.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) writes:
>>>
>>>3b1 Unix was written by Convergent Technologies.  The C compiler is
>>>the most obvious clue.
>>The C Compiler, assembler, and loader are the standard 68010 tools from the
>>"SGS" (Software Generation System) from AT&T.  They are essentially identical
>>to the versions that would be found on any 68000 Unix System V (For example,
>>the CounterPoint Computers 68020 systems, and the HP-350 68020 systems).
>
>Well, I've found 4 major bugs in the compiler on the 3b1/7300, aka ct
>safari, and the same bugs showed up on a burroughs xe550, aka ct
>megaframe.  I do not see them on NCR tower's which look like 3b2 SysV.
>

>rich.

Once upon a time, about 3 years ago, when we had a Motorola-CT 6300 on  loan,
we noted that the AT&T PC 7300 and Motorola 6300 were BINARY COMPATIBLE!  Yep,
stuff that wasn't even available (DBMS, word processing, etc.) on one could
be directly executed on the other.  A net note to this effect brought a reply
from John Mashey (ex-Convergent) confirming that the biggest change was to
have put some of the IC circuitry into PLAs to compact the board space.

I have not tried the compatibility with the Motorola 6600 (CT MegaFrame) as
the separate I/O processors seem baroque.  Someday .....

(Really BP America R&D)

--
Rob Lake
{decvax,ihnp4!cbosgd}!mandrill!nitrex!rbl