How do you use shared libraries with curses routines?

Eric S. Raymond eric at snark.UUCP
Wed Feb 3 01:48:28 AEST 1988

In article <3023 at homxc.UUCP>, cram at homxc.UUCP (Marc W. Howard) writes:
>	I'm using Eric Raymond's ccs command (thanx Eric!) to recompile my
>programs using shared libraries.  The space savings is phenominal, esp. for
>small (~ 20-50 K) programs.  However, I can't get any programs that use
>the curses library to link properly.  If the curses library is included
>then mucho redefine error messages occur.  If I leave out curses, multiple
>missing function errors occur.

I ran into this same problem -- it's the reason for the hack in ccs that uses
./shlib.ifile in preference to /lib/shlib/ifile, if the former exists.

What you need to do is make a local copy of /lib/shlib/ifile, and then rip out
the lines giving addresses of names that you get redefined messages for. Then
ccs with -lc.

Someone at AT&T obviously goofed when assembling the 3.5 version of shlib...
--
      Eric S. Raymond
      UUCP:  {{seismo,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax,sdcrdcf!burdvax,vu-vlsi}!snark!eric