Summary of answers I received to some questions.

eric townsend erict at flatline.UUCP
Thu May 5 14:43:34 AEST 1988

From: erict at flatline.UUCP (eric townsend)
Newsgroups: unix-pc.general,comp.sys.att
Subject: More silly 3b1 quesitons. :-)
Date: 26 Apr 88 03:19:39 GMT

I posted some questions a while back, and this is a summary of
the answers that I *received*.  Local mail/news is flaky, so
if somebody emailed me the Right Way to do something and it didn't
get to me, just post it or something. :-)

In <305 at flatline.UUCP>, I (erict at flatline.UUCP) write:
>More silly questions that I couldn't find a quick and easy answer to:

>1.  Any simple way to make an on/off switch for the monitor?  I get tired
>of using the little wheelie-dealie to postpone terminal phosphor-burn.
>(I'm *not* going to experiment on *my* machine, dammit. :-)

Ok... I should have mentioned that I have Sys V ver 3.0.  Almost every
reply I received was "use the Preferences".  Well, my prefs don't do
monitory shutdown. :-( I received no solutions other than "upgrade to 3.5+".
I should have also mentioned that I was thinking of a hardware mod.  I
received one response ala "Well, you can do it from the software" but
there was no elaboration.  Then I lost the mail.  Grr.

>2.  Problem:  the Sys V ver 3.0 manuals, for all intents and purposes, suck.
>Any good suggestion as to a companion set of manuals that give better
>explinations in more detail?  I like the Motorola 5.2 or so manuals...
>the big 8.5x11 monsters.  But those cost ~$150.

sean at aquinas.UUCP (Sean McCollister), suggested I try the 3b2 manuals.
I used to work with a set from a 3b2 400, and was not impressed enough
to spend the $75.  I'd rather spend ~$150 on the monster Moto manuals.
(We used the Moto manuals for 3b1s, 3b2s, Motorola and even Xenix once. :-)
It's also possible that I was working with an outdated set of 3b2 manuals
and the newer ones are much better...

>3.  Anybody know of "The Right Uses" for the mouse buttons?  I figured that
>B1 meant 'what ever is under the pointer', and B2 *should* be 'list
>of commands related to active window', but what about B3, B1+B2 and B2+B3?

Ok, B1 and B2 I was basically correct about.  I got a couple of messages
about B3 being a "mark" button, to be used for marking multiple objects
for a single command.  ie: "mark"ing several files to make a mass move
of files to a different directory.
I didn't hear any suggestions re: B1+B2, B2+B3.  I guess I'll play with
that some.

Thanks for all the answers, and for those that sent flamage about my
.signature...  Having spare MIPS has nothing to do with whether or not
I've read my manuals.  I use my 3b1 3-7 hours a day, but I rarely
push it to its limits.  Smart pushes my limits quite often, however.
It's amazing what you can do with vi when it's virtually all you have. :-)
--
                                Know Future
Another journalist with too many spare MIPS.