WIN TCP/IP for 3B15 considered (+3b2 anon ftp note)

Scott Hammond scott at ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu
Tue May 24 16:33:55 AEST 1988

In article <828 at ucsd.EDU> brian at ucsd.EDU (Brian Kantor) writes:
>We just installed the latest version of AT&T WIN TCP/IP for our 3B15,
>and got it working, more or less.  ARRRGH!

What release of WIN/3B?  We've had 1.1 on our 15s for several months
now (but your problems look familiar).

>Things to watch out for while installing it:
>
>1. Don't install it twice.  If the first attempt at installing it fails,

And if you were running 3bnet, stop it and remove it.  (I didn't realize
the 3bnet software hadn't been pulled yet, made life interesting).

>3. After you cpio the installation script in, go modify it so you can
>see what it's doing so you can undo anything you don't like it doing.
>I stuck a 'set -x' in the top of it.  I consider a "please wait" message
>inadequate progress reporting, and the damn installation script seems to
>remove itself after completion (at least, I couldn't find it) so there's
>no reasonable way to find out what it did after the fact.

You'll find it in /usr/win3b/install; there is also a backout script
"UNINSTALL".

>Things to do to make it work:
>
>The script that goes in /etc/rc.d/rc2.net is broken.  It starts the NI
>interface, then checks to see what it's status is.  If you are doing
>ANYTHING except coming up from power-on, it may well find that the
>interface is already running.  Since it's looking for the "just started"

Have to check this.  Haven't had any trouble with the net coming up at boot.
Not surprising though.

>Things you can't easily do anything about:
>
>The version of sendmail delivered is 4.12; which according to the
>Version log in our BSD sources was current on Sept 7, 1983 (yes, FIVE
>YEARS AGO).  It's so full of bugs that you're lucky if mail gets
>delivered.

Ours seems to be _fair_.  DONT try to use the frozen configuration.  I
use all new sendmail configs, and basically have non-local stuff go to a
BSD machine with MX-Sendmail, BIND, etc.  Most annoying is that locally
delivered mail arriving over the network will have a From header listing
the name of real user id of the last person to start the daemon (ie.  if
it was started at boot, then mail from the net says "From: daemon", if I
started it while su-ed to root, it will say "From: scott".  I got a copy
of a binmail that fixes this from allyn at cs.ucsd.edu while I was
upgrading sendmail for 3b2's (hope you don't mind me mentioning it
Allyn).

>If you have any hope of using this machine for ethernet mail
>you'd better plan on porting the current version of sendmail or maybe
>replace it with MMDF or something.  You can get the latest version of
>sendmail by anonymous FTP from ucbarpa, but it's configured for Berkeley
>systems and will take some work to port.

Suggest starting with 5.58 from ucsd for 3b2s/V.3.1 or wait for V.3 for
the 15.

>this is a product that hasn't been upgraded at all recently - I'm
>wondering how much time elapsed between the time Wollongong
>delivered it to AT&T and when we got it last week.  I suspect it's
>been a couple of years.

Current release of WIN/3b is 2.1 I think (wish we had it).

>It's a good thing we don't have serious users on this machine (just a
>few students doing independent research) or I'd have to fix this stuff
>- probably by porting over as much of the 4.3 code as would work.  But

Agreed.  First thing ported was more.

One more possible problem:  When you first install, and boot the new
system from /etc/system, be sure to rebuild unix (mkunix) while in
SINGLE USER MODE.  If you wait until multi-user to do it, you will find
that when you reboot with /unix, one of the critical network processes
won't start (took forever to discover this one).

If anyone's WIN/3b1.1 rwho can see packets from 4.3bsd machines, I'd like to
know how you got it to do that.

Last note:  For a while one of the 15's would cease receiving over the
network.  You could network out, but not in.  The solution was to reboot.
This problem disappeared...

[Also, if you have a 3b2 with SysVr3.1 and WIN/3b1.1, your anonymous ftp
 won't do "ls".  The fix is to get a BINARY copy of /bin/ls from a 3b15
 running SYSVr2, and put in ~ftp/bin/ls. (don't ask me how I discovered
 this or why it works, the AT&T solution was to upgrade WIN/3b)]
--------
Scott Hammond                        Dept of Computing & Information Sciences
scott at ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu                      Kansas State University
scott at ksuvax1.BITNET   attmail!ksuvax1!scott      Manhattan, Kansas
{cbosgd,pyramid,ucsd}!ncr-sd!ncrwic!ksuvax1!scott   (913) 532-6350