Floppy Disk based 3b1????

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Fri May 6 01:10:29 AEST 1988

In article <3527 at psuvax1.psu.edu> jte at psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Jon Eckhardt) writes:
| Hello, I have a small problem with my ATT 3b2/300 w/70 (72??) meg hard disk
| and I would like to be able to boot from a floppy and run unix from the
| floppy, mount the hard disk and check it out.  Is there any way I can
| do this?

Let me try to help... first format the floppy with format. The create a
file system using mkfs *and a prototype file*. This will allow you to
specify boot program, swap space, files to precopy, etc.

I don't have a 3B1 anymore, so I can't tell you just what you need in
the prototype file.

You can also make a physical copy of the original boot disk, mount it,
clean most of the stuff off, and put your new stuff on to do what you
want. This avoids learning about prototype files, but is not as flexible.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)