new case for the UNIXPC (was: Telebit for 3b1 and HDB)

Chris Calabrese[mav] cjc at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com
Sun Nov 27 03:54:22 AEST 1988

In article <494 at midgard.UUCP>, caa at midgard.UUCP (Charles A Anderson) writes:
> I a totaly unrelated topic, has any one thought of putting a 3b1/7300 in a
> different case?  I've never opened mine up so I have no idea what the
> configuration looks like inside.  I would think that this would let one easily
> add another hard drive (if John tells us how) inside the case with a beefed
> up power supply.  The biggest problem would seem to be the monitor since it is
> built into the case......Just a thought..

A couple of people have talked about it around here.  The monitor problem
acutally is no problem at all.  You can simply unscrew it from the base
and sit it on top of something else (like the monitor pedistool from
the 6300 plus which will connect right to the base) - of course,
you'll need a longer video cable, but that's not that difficult.

The UNIXPC is a single board design with a daughter section
for the addon boards.  This should be able to fit into any case,
and fits nicely into vme cases.  On the other hand, the designers
went through a lot of trouble to get it to fit into that
small case and have all that great steel sheilding, so mabee
you want to keep the old case and just modify it.

If you want the thing more compact, the obvious thing is to get rid
of the triangualar part, since it will be nice and slim and
able to sit on its side.  It's the things in this section which
keep you from having easy access to the mother board anyway.

Once the monitor is taken care of, the only things in the triangular
part of the case are the disk drives and power supply.
The disks can be easily placed into an external unit, but the
power supply is an other matter, though I suppose that Radio Shack
sells several enclosure models  just the right size for it.

Now that everything is out of the triangular part, just cut it right off
with a saw, glue in another piece of plastic,
and put in a cutout for a fan.
--
	Christopher J. Calabrese
	AT&T Bell Laboratories