Verbose modems (Re: MORE 6386 UUCP WOES)

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.COM
Thu Oct 20 14:07:55 AEST 1988

In article <5042 at cbmvax.UUCP>, ditto at cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) writes:

> I disagree.  Having "result codes" on a dialin modem on a Unix
> system is a pretty stupid idea, for the above mentioned reason
> (Modem sends "CONNECT" message to the computer ... computer thinks
> "CONNECT" is a login name, etc.).

It is certainly a drag to be stuck in upper case because
RING was seen as a login.  To combat this, we set our modems
to give digit result codes instead of verbose ones; we've
been quite pleased except that it's harder to debug the
outgoing dialing...

     Steve
--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl at vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl