HELP with 7300 hard disk PLEASE

Ed Horch ebh at argon.UUCP
Mon Oct 31 04:57:30 AEST 1988

In article <1311 at plx.UUCP> walt at plx.UUCP (Walt Novinger ) writes:
>My 7300's 40MB Seagate ST251 hard disk suddenly went south the other day,
>and I have to get the data off it, if possible.  I tried running the
>diagnostics disk to test the drive, and it fails on the "recal" test.

The disk may be fine.  Early in argon's career, the same "can't recal"
message made me think I had lost my drive.  Two drives and mother-
boards and a month in the shop later, I suggested to the technician
that there may be a power supply problem, since the disk never died
during operation, only on power-up or power-down.  A new power supply,
and the whole thing's been running fine for over a year.

In any case, don't toss your ST-251 in the scrap heap yet!

-Ed