Oh yeah, sockets on the UNIXpc

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Fri Jun 16 22:44:00 AEST 1989

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG vi needs better signal handling internally.

Oh well, let's type this all in again. Well, with some minor tweeks, the
WIN/3B software for the UNIXpc can run WITHOUT and Ethernet card. I have been
able to compile some socket code with very fews changes. I had to add a
-I/usr/ethernet/include to the compile line, stub an expanded perror() routine,
and (for the moment) stub a function rhost(), which I think is really a call
to get{}byname(), and add <sys/types> (/usr/ethernet/include/sys) for u_short.

Here is a list of what I did, as near as I can remember.
0. De-install the pty driver, if you have it. (this is the one ported to the
   UNIXpc by Eric H. Herrin II eric at ms.uky.edu). Don't worry, the WIN/3B has
   it's own ptys. I had to reboot to get rid of the in-memory pty, as it would
   not unload thinking it was still busy. (see #8)
1. Login as install, install it.
2. Give some bogus number for the network number and be prepared for the
   driver load to fail and unload.
3. All the software is now installed.
4. The program /etc/.drvload, which is run by /etc/rc at boot time, loads all
   the loadable device drivers (except wind). If it finds a program in
   /etc/lddrv of the form driver.rc or driver.brc, it will run it if the driver
   load successfully. In this case the driver loads just fine, the problem is
   the ether.rc. Coment out the ifconfig stuff at the top. Done.
5. Load the driver: "cd /etc/lddrv; lddrv -a ether"
6. Check for which daemons you want to run at the end of ether.rc, fix and run.
7. Comment out the ifconfig line the Install put in your /etc/shutdown.
8. This package brings the mailx stuff with it, which is identicle to the stuff
   in the MAILX+IN from THE STORE!, so back up anything in /usr/lib/mailx that
   you have changed. WARNING!! mailx checks to see if you have sendmail in
   /usr/lib, and if you do IT USES IT!
9. Enjoy.

Until a PD socket library comes along, this is going to have to do it for X.

John
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:294-4823, w:466-9324; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!