Another 19200 baud tip, and a question

Andy Heffernan nichiren at glyph.UUCP
Tue Jun 13 08:32:23 AEST 1989

In article <19373 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
		[ blah blah ]
>If you're still using the UA, the above will make life more pleasant if you're
>reluctant to manually alter /etc/inittab (which only seems to get modified
>by using the "RS232 [Expansion] Setup" or by running ``phtoggle'').

I've been wondering about this.  My /etc/inittab gets reset everytime I
reboot, no matter how I change it.  (Of course, every once in a while
syscon gets linked to tty000, but that's another mystery.) This annoys
me quite a bit, since the way I have things set up, the machine hangs a
getty on my phone line which I don't want.  (1 phone line into port 2,
calls out, only.) Who keeps changing the damn thing, and why?
Why?  Why?  Why?  Why?  (hysterics)

This all makes me ask, How much of this magic stuff (smgr, what's a
smgr?) can I kill off, given that I don't care about the windows and
mice; I don't care about making notes of all my voluminous phone calls
(they're ALL wrong numbers), but I do want to call out via UUCP; I
don't need to be shown if the machine is "Working" or not (I can hear it
grumbling to itself when it is); I'd love to grab those extra 2-3 lines
on the screen; etc.  How much?  How much?  How much?  (hysterics)

*snif* *snif* ...I just want a normal machine...., boo hoo hoo hoo...