Socket driver code available

Alex Crain alex at wolf.umbc.edu
Tue Jun 20 05:27:56 AEST 1989

	Welp, at long last, I'm ready for to be releasing the beta
version of my socket code for the unixpc. What exactly is it, you ask?

	The code is basically a port of the berkeley uipc_* kernel
code. At this point the driver is incomplete, and Restricted to an
implimentation of SOCK_STREAM and SOCK_DGRAM protocols over the
AF_UNIX domain. The following calls are implemented:

	socket ()
	bind ()
	listen ()
	accept ()
	connect ()
	socketpair ()
	sendto ()
	send ()
	recvfrom ()
	recv ()
	setsockopt ()
	getsockopt ()
	pipe ()

	Note the conspicuous absence of select (). I purposefully saved it
for later, and will add it to the system *real*soon*now*. Part of the reason
is that I want select to work with both pty's and the keyboard, which I'm
still thinking about.

	In any case, the system is somewhat stablish, and read for beta
testing. I think that because of the nature of the beast, its best not to
post it, but rather set up a mailing list for the beta testers.

	A Few Words About X ... the hot topic for the summer is, of course,
X windows. X was also the driving factor behind my socket driver, and I
recomend its use as X's ipc mechanism. I will be happy to run a mailing list
for the X port since the beta testers and the X porters are likely to be
the same people.

	*WARNING*WARNING*WARNING*WARNING*WARNING*WARNING*WARNING*

	This is a kernel level device driver and can potentially hose
your system big time. I've tested it some and its laced with enough
calls to panic() so that that if it does go awray, its no likely to do
any serious damage. Expect that it will crash the system, though, and
be prepared for that event. I will say that in developing this driver
(A code/compile/load/run/reboot cycle) I have never done any serious
file system damage.

	If you would like source to the driver, send mail to
alex at umbc3.umbc.edu and I'll send you a copy, retaining your name so
that you can get fixes.

#Disclamer: Anyone who agrees   #    University of Maryland Baltimore County
#with me deserves what they get.#	alex at umbc3.umbc.edu