New Root disk for UNIXPC

Mark Dapoz mdapoz at hybrid.UUCP
Sun Aug 12 11:38:37 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug11.184541.273 at ivucsb.sba.ca.us> todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:
>Anyway, what I am wondering, is:  What is the least painful way
>to copy my entire 67MB drive to the 100MB drive and then make
>the 100MB drive my new root drive?  Keep in mind that I want to
>somehow unfragment the files in the process, so I think using
>dd is out of the questiong.

I went through this dillema about 3 times as I kept changing hard drive
configurations.  The easiest way I found to do it was to add the 100 meg
drive as a second hard drive, format it, allocate the boot and swap partitions
and then mount the user parition(s) (ie. /dev/fp012 onward) as something
like /mnt on the running system.  To copy the files to it you can use a
find/cpio pipeline to do it.  This will defragemnt the drive while copying
and will also be very quick (well, relatively quick, the drives are slow).
I've tried using a find/cpio pipeline when booted off of a floppy but it's
very slow because the kernel i/o device for the pipe is the floppy instead
of a hard drive.  I don't recommend doing the copy using the floppy kernel
unless you have a few days to spare.  Once you've copied all the files, you
can then switch the two drives and boot off the 100 meg one.  You may have
to use iv to create the boot partition, I don't think the diag disk does
this for you.  Hope this helps.
--
Managing a software development team 	|   Mark Dapoz
is a lot like being on the psychiatric	|   mdapoz%hybrid at cs.toronto.edu
ward.  -Mitch Kapor, San Jose Mercury	|   mdapoz at torvm3.iinus1.ibm.com