6386 Performance

~XT6561110~Frank McGee~C23~L25~6326~ fmcgee at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Thu Aug 23 01:22:13 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug14.182654.17881 at mccc.uucp> pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I have 8 MB on the 6386 and plan to have 20 users (no X, no Simultask).
>The problem of adding more RAM is the cost of the RAM expansion board.
>You wouldn't happen to know where I could find one for (much) less than
>the $2500 that AT&T is reputed to want?

Although AT&T won't support it, you could use the Intel RAM
expansion cards.  We had a prototype here that came with one
of their cards; it had 8 MB of soldered on 1 MB DRAMs (72
DRAMs).  They were soldered on on our card, so it looks like
you have to buy what you want, and if you want to add more
later, you have to buy a new card.  Kind of makes the AT&T
card look really good (:-).  The particular model I used was
in a 6386/25, and worked in both the prototype and the
production models.  I don't have a part number for the Intel
card, but I believe it was for the 302 computer.

You could also use plain AT RAM expansion cards, but they
probably can't take advantage of the RAM cache, and they
will be slooooow.  Once, again, AT&T wouldn't support that
configuration, since we sell a memory card ourselves for
that purpose.

--
Frank McGee, AT&T
Entry Level Systems Support