Proposal on the unix-pc.* and comp.sys.att newsgroup changes

Mark H. Weber mhw at lock60.UUCP
Sat Dec 8 16:49:08 AEST 1990

Here I am, at the console of my trusty 3b1, where I should have been
all the time. Serves me right for trying to use a vax 750 when I
should have been using a real machine. Anyway, back to our story:

In article <1990Dec4.135723.1608 at sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM> bruce at sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM (Bruce Lilly) writes:

>In summary, I feel that our best shot is to go for the
>comp.sys.att reorganization, moving unix-pc into comp.sys.att.3b1
>and u3b into comp.sys.att.3b2+ ...

Not surprisingly, I agree with you. I would much prefer to straighten
out everything at the same time, but things are never quite that tidy
here on the net. The unix-pc people (me included) are ready to vote as to
whether 3b1 should be under att or not. Don't forget that the vote is open
to everyone, not just unix-pc'ers. Anyone with an opinion about how the
namespace is structured is encouraged to vote. There is no such thing
as a perfect name for a group. For example if this new 68040 Unisys
machine is a success, then we could discuss 3b1's under comp.sys.unisys!
And then, if AT&T buys out Unisys, the group could be renamed to
comp.sys.att.unisys.convergent.s4 :-) :-)

Anyway, don't forget to vote, and thanks to Jan for taking the time to
go through with this.

--
Mark H. Weber ( mhw at Schuylkill.Canal.Org )           "Schuylkill" (skool' kill)
 Mont Clare   ( ...!uunet!cbmvax!cgh!lock60!mhw )      is a Dutch word meaning