Help on joining the network

Bob Stratton dsc3rjs at nmrdc1.nmrdc.nnmc.navy.mil
Tue Dec 11 03:02:45 AEST 1990

In article <67472 at unix.cis.pitt.edu> slimick at unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C Slimick) writes:

>Could someone provide some guidance on how I want to reconfigure the 3b2?

I'll try.

>(By agreement with the owners of the nameservers, we will stay out of the
>nameserver business)

By that, I assume that you mean you don't want to "become" a Domain Name
server. You then have several options:

 - Create an /etc/resolv.conf file with the addresses of the name servers
   you wish to _resolve_ to. (This is by far the easiest.)

 - Run a "caching-only" name server. This means you will have all of the
   functionality of a name server on the 3B2 in question, but that it will
   not service requests from other machines. (Faster, but more complicated
   to implement.)

 If you just want basic name service, and don't mind a little delay on
 queries, just throw a couple of lines in /etc/resolv.conf. It's very
 easy to configure, and works automagically. Just REMEMBER to delete the
 file if you ever want to run "named" on your 3B2.

--
Bob Stratton		| dsc3rjs at nmdsc{20 | 10}.nmdsc.nnmc.navy.mil [Internet]
Stratton Systems Design	| dsc3rjs at vmnmdsc.BITNET [BITNET only, please!]