3b1 uucp problem

Harold A. Miller hal at manta.mel.dit.csiro.au
Thu Dec 20 15:22:45 AEST 1990

Hi there!  I have a new friend with a 3b1, and am trying to get him uucp-
connected through my site.  I have some problems that maybe someone here
could help with.  My apologies if this has been discussed a bazillion times
here, but as I've never needed to, I haven't been monitoring this group.  I
promise, though .....

(I have a Tektronix unix box myself, that I use as "control" testing.  It *all*
works fine on the Tek, including files that fail to the 3b1)

The modem connection goes through an Annex server, to a Sun 3.  I can get him
in successfully on 'cu'.  I can get him logged in on uucico.  His machine
transmits to mine just fine, uucp and/or mail.  When it comes to master/slave
turnaround, however, things seem to become randomly bad.  Some files work
fine (from the Sun to the 3b1), some fail, then go on a reconnection.  Others
*always* fail, regardless of what I've tried.  They always succeed to the Tek
box.  Error seems to always be the same (bad header), at apparently the same
packet (counting isn't always easy in the debug output of uucico).  Once there
is an error, the connection is effectively dead.  The 3b1 times out on alarms
(about 16 if I recall correctly).  The Sun is sitting there wondering where
the 3b1 went, and eventually times out.

This only happens on Sun-to-3b1 traffic.  All 3b1-to-Sun works, including
the bidirectional protocol negotiation and acks.  I keep thinking it might
have something to do with flow control, but I haven't figured out where it
could be failing, nor why it works on the Tek.

Only other relevant point I can think of is it has an American 1200 baud
internal modem, trying to talk to any of half a dozen different Australian
modems.  I don't think this is really relevant, as I've taken a pair of
Australian ones, one at each end (external to the 3b1) and get the same errors.

Could his uucico be corrupted?  We reloaded his entire system from his
original floppies, and got the same results.  Any ideas?  I'd like to get
him on line.

Thanks.
HM
|Hal Miller, DIT, CSIRO, | Networking Environments Project               |
|55 Barry St, Carlton,   | (TEL) +61 3 347 8644   (FAX) +61 3 347 8987   |
|VIC 3053, Australia     | Internet:hal at mel.dit.csiro.au                 |