Anyone for SLIP

Undergrad Projects Lab upl at gumby.cs.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 12 01:40:15 AEST 1990

In article <2603 at ttardis.UUCP> rlw at ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) writes:
>what is SLI - do you have the source - I might be able to ort it.

SLIP is more properly written as SL/IP.  It is Serial Line Internet Protocol.
What it allows a person to do is use tcp/ip through a serial line.  There is
currently a package called KA9Q which will allows me to do this.

So what I've done is get my place of work (which is on the internet) to provide
me a SLIP port on one of our computers.  Then there's a modem attached off the
end of that port.  I stick a modem on my end, dial it.  The remote port is
just sitting there waiting to speak IP with anyone who has the right internet
address.  Then if the proper routing is taking place on my feed, I can telnet
to any internet accessable computer, and ftp to/from -- all for the price of
a local phone call.

Well, this is all nice and good.  BUT!  KA9Q is a package that has been ported
from DOS (the Unix users anti-christ).  Well, to say it gently, it doesn't
integrate very well with unix.  It is one program which speaks tcp/ip.  It
has implementations of telnet/ftp/etc within the one program.  It implements
it's own multi-tasking so that these things could be done in DOS.  If I want
to use it in one window, I can't use it in another window.  It's frustrating,
but it DOES provide the functionality (however limited it may be) and for that
it is great.

Now . . . I've heard tales told (from users of Sun machines) that there is
public domain slip source.  I've even found where it is.  What my Sun friends
tell me is that one can port it to integrate with OS so that all of the old
applications (ftp/telnet/etc) will work, but work over this medium instead
of ethernet.  This is exactly what I'm looking for.  In fact, this is so
useful to me that I've considered selling my 3b1 for a Sun2.  I hear
rumor tell this is a comparable machine to the 3b1, but with SunOS -- rumored
(again) to be a significant improvement over SysV.

Anyway, that's what it is.  Here's where you get it:  the name of the site
is novell.com (130.57.4.1) the files are: /pub/networking/slip-4.0.tar.Z
or /pub/networking/slip-3.x.tar.Z.  There is also a file called slip.shar.Z
I have no idea what is different between the three files.  I do know that they
were intended for a Sun OS.

I hope that you take on this port.  It would make my life a lot nicer.
Thanks,
- sparkie
P.S.	PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE reply to the following address
		harier!sparkie at cs.wisc.edu
	and not the account from which I'm posting this.