relationship between IPC and {uu}getty?

Jim Mercer jim at lsuc.on.ca
Sat Jul 28 02:28:54 AEST 1990

we have been experiencing system load problems lately.

sar -r shows that memory is being chewed up.

i decided to drop some of the stuff from the kernel that we weren't using.

i used sysadm to remove the SCSI disk mirror and Inter Process Communications.

when the system rebooted, all of the getty's that got fired up could not
open /dev/tty??.

i reinstalled IPC and rebooted and everything is fine.

we are using the standard getty.

what's the deal?

since when does getty use shared memory, semaphores etc?

or maybe it's the tty device driver? 8^)

any comments would be appreciated.

thanx

--
[ Jim Mercer  jim at lsuc.On.Ca  || ...!uunet!attcan!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-5258 ]
[ Systems Facilitator - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA ]