Wiring weirdness on 3B1 STARLAN (long)

Bud Hovell bbh at mtek.uucp
Mon Jul 16 04:34:05 AEST 1990

This request for help was originally posted to the unix-pc and comp.sys.
att groups. Several persons helpfully replied (as shown below), but we
still haven't a clue about how to further proceed.

We're getting a bit desperate out here, folks.

*Any* suggestions would be *most* appreciated! :-)

############################ original posting ############################

Ok - this one for the *real* wizards! Except I just *know* I'm gonna
hate myself when someone points out the (probably foolishly simple)
explanation of this frustrating little mystery. :-)

We have just occupied new offices, which were professionally wired for
both communications (Merlin) and data, linked by 4-pair connections to
standard RJ-45 jacks/plugs.

We set up STARLAN between two 3B1 computers thus:

3B1/STARLAN<cable>RJ45<-------->punchblock<-------->RJ45<cable>3B1/STARLAN

		 ..........in other words, an electrically straight-
line connection interrupted only by the punchblock and RJ45 connections.
Simple, no? Pretty damn near the most fundamental circuit one can imagine,
short of a straight copper wire.

Piece a' cake. However, referring again to the diagram......

3B1/STARLAN<cable>RJ45<-------->punchblock<-------->RJ45<cable>3B1/STARLAN

                    ^          ^          ^           ^
                    |          |          |           |

                    A          B          C           D

The funny thing is that it doesn't work.  Total run is *well* under the max.
400 feet allowed.  The installers have spent *****HOURS****** trying to figure
out how cum:

	* Line A-B tests good.
	* Ditto Line C-D.
	* Ditto Line A-D.
	* Ditto STARLAN-to-STARLAN, at the RJ45 jacks.
	* ...but it fails when connected thru as diagrammed. >-|

We even had them bring in a really nifty Tek recording O-scope to look for
environmental funnies. Did a full-spectrum sweep....

Nuthin.

Re-punch the wires. Punch the wires directly on top of each other on
the punchboard connector. Add another punchboard and move the wiring
over to it. Run new cable C-D. Verify *all* connections at the jacks
(twice). Double-check polarity (!?!). (Someone suggests garlic, but we
finally agree that is for something else). Stamp feet. Curse vehemently.

Nuthin.

Some kind of impedence problem? Doesn't seem likely. Mismanufactured
AT&T cable? Faulty RJ45 stuff? Umm, well....wouldn't it show up? This
stuff all looks clean as a hound's tooth.

Weird. So....

We ran about a 60' cable out on the floor, put on RJ45s, plugged it in
to the two STARLAN boards, and it cranked right up and ran FINE. Ditto
with shorter cable of, say, 6 feet.

Now get ready, folks, cause HERE COME D'GOOD PART:

We now take the 60' cable and place it IN SERIES (i.e., replacing one of
the standard cables between the wall and the STARLAN board on one end)...

                ........AND STARLAN WORKS!!!!! Flawlessly.

Total cable length is now 60' *longer* than before, and relies upon all the
same installed wiring and connectors that failed before.

Three of us guys standin' there looking *really* tired and amazed. :-)

CURRENT STATUS: Right now, STARLAN works great, so long as I have an extra 60'
of cable stuffed down beside my desk.  Just *why* I need have an extra 60' of
cable in order to enable STARLAN is quite an aggravating puzzle. Then, too,
the cable keeps getting wrapped around my ankle while I'm working.

IN SUMMARY: Oliver Wendell Holmes once commented that there are some situ-
ations to which the only reasonable response is: "Well I'll be God-damned!"
I must most-fully concur.

Any help out there, guys?