6300/6300+ LIM 4.0 expanded memory

roger.h.levy rl at cbnewsl.att.com
Sat Jul 14 20:58:55 AEST 1990

The driver, or expanded memory manager (EMM) for the AT&T enhanced memory
board built specifically for 6300/6300+ long slots by AST provides LIM 3.2.
I have found that in the 6300, this board is compatible with newer AST EMMs
that provide LIM 4.0.  Therefore, with the AST EMM remm450.sys, my 6300
can run software not compatible with the AT&T EMM.  When I tried the AST
EMM in a 6300+ booted from a cold start, the expanded memory diagnostic
provided by the EMM reported bad parity in all memory pages.  This did not
occur when booting the PLUS from a warm start.  Since I am interested in LIM
4.0 on the PLUS, I was wondering if anyone could explain physical differ-
ences between the 6300 and 6300+ that might be repsonsible for this incom-
patibility.  Also, has anyone else obtained LIM 4.0 on the PLUS with the
AT&T 16 bit board?  One kluge that appeared to work was to load both the
AT&T aemm.sys and AST remm450.sys.  The AT&T EMM brought the board through
the cold start memory diagnostic and then the LIM services were provided
by the AST EMM.  I didn't test this yet to determine if it's really viable.

Roger Levy