Anybody using a Miniscribe 3085?

Mark C. Otto mco at slimer.UUCP
Mon Nov 5 16:13:06 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov2.015137.13724 at sci.ccny.cuny.edu> jeffrey at sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Jeffrey L Bromberger) writes:
>Hi folks.  I just got my hands on a miniscribe 3085 drive. [...]
>
>So, when I tried it tonight, the darn thing refused to work. [...]

Jeff -
  I'm running a Miniscribe 3085 right now on 'slimer' where I'm writing
  this.  Take my word for it - it WILL work.  Yes, you need a 2010
  controller for the extra cylinders, but you also need a new version
  of the diagnostices disk in order to format properly.  You can get
  this diagnostic diskette from the OSU archive.  Just make sure everything
  is clean and tight with respect to the cables and connectors before you
  start your format.  Also, the 3085 draws up to 2 amps.  If your power
  supply is a 7300 supply instead of a 3B1 supply it may run a bit warmer
  than you are used to.  If you have problems, email me and I'll help
  as best I can.

--
Mark C. Otto   EMail: mco at slimer, {teemc | hpftc}!slimer!mco
Voice: 1-313-441-4264    USnail: 5133 Heather #208, Dearborn, MI. 48126