help with at&t models

John Breeden jbreeden at netcom.UUCP
Sun Nov 18 03:55:13 AEST 1990

In article <36024 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>tkacik at rphroy.uucp (Tom Tkacik) in <38178 at rphroy.UUCP> writes:
>
>	The 6300 is AT&T's PC clone.  It and newer versions all use
>	the INTEL 8086 family (ie. 8086, 80286, 80386).
>	The original was a DOS machine, the newer ones are able to run Unix.
>
>It's my recollection AT&T's 6300 pre-dated the IBM machines; i.e. the IBM PC
>arrived on the scene AFTER the 6300.  The 6300 was mfd by Olivetti under their
>own name, then AT&T picked it up as the 6300.

It pre-dated the IBM AT (the 6300 compares to and is faster than an AT - it
also explains the lack of EGA for the 6300 - it wasn't defined until the AT).

>	The 7300, UnixPX, and 3b1 are different names for the same machine.
>	The 7300 was sold with less memory and a smaller disk.
>	They all use the Motorola 68010 processor,
>	and run Unix SYS5.2, (ok a slight variant).
>	The 3b1 (7300) was discontinued before there a second machine was
>	introduced.
>	It is now an orphan, but one with a captive following.
>	I have one, it's a great machine.
>	The unix-pc.* newgroups are devoted to the 3b1.
>                                    ^^^^^^^
>Devoted?  Sheesh, we WORSHIP the machine!  Aye, yes, Stellar Acolyte Thad
>swinging dead chickens over his head and dancing under the full moon in
>his Jockey shorts while deciphering the mystical CURSES runes, stictioned
>rotating memories, the glorious wonders of /etc/lddrv and the intricacies
>of HDB uucp!  :-)  :-)

Let's see. AT&T came out with a 68000/Unix based machine with a graphic
interface based on Open Standards (AT&T's ad) and the world concidered
it a flop........hhhuuummmmm

Didn't SOMEONE else come out with such a machine the same year that AT&T
disco'd the 7300/3b1/UnixPC? Arn't they selling a few billion dollars worth
of them a year now?

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden at apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden