Questions about StarGROUP Software

Ed Hopper ehopper at ehpcb.WLK.COM
Wed Oct 17 11:31:44 AEST 1990

pjh at mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:

> 1.  The "DOS Client Server Admin's Guide" mentions that it "...is
> possible to configure a computer as a concurrent client/server..." but
> neither it nor the "386 Server S/w Installation and Admin Guide" tell
> how to do this.

The "feature" was offered for DOS servers.  i.e., I could operate a DOS
PC as a server and in the small amount of RAM left (about 350 K I think)
I could also run regular DOS apps while the server ran in the "background".
Of course, the first time you hit CTRL-ALT-DEL....:-)

> 2.  The error messages section of the DOS guide mentions a "Simul-Task
> Client S/W Installation & Config Guide."  Does this suggest that a
> client must be running DOS -- even if it's under Simultask -- to be a
> client for a StarGROUP server?

SimulTask extensions for StarGROUP are an optional package.  DOS and OS/2
(there are three people outside of IBM running that now, right?) clients
are supported.  UNIX clients per se, are NOT supported under StarGROUP.
Of course you can use the OSI transport layer to run RFS, NFS and Open
Look.

> 3.  I have a DOS application installed in a shared directory tree and
> I'd like to prevent users from writing to any of those directories.
> However, it appears that the program itself writes temp files to its
> "home" directory because making the directory read-only produces error
> messages.  What should I examine to determine if I can make the
> application write its temp files somewhere else?

You could set the files individually to read-only.  Of course, most good
DOS network applications should be configurable in that regard.

Ed Hopper