3B2 Floppy Drive Substitute

Robb Thomas Robb.Thomas at f1.n684.z89.onebdos.UUCP
Tue Oct 30 17:03:34 AEST 1990

   I appear to have found a 3B2/400 floppy disk drive substitute, which
means that for me, my 3B2 floppy troubles are now over!   I 'think'
I have just successfully 'hacked' an ordinary 1.2 Meg PC floppy disk drive
to work with my 3B2/400 computer.

   So far, I have just formatted/verified/created file systems, mounted them,
as well as mount disks formatted under the 3B2's old original floppy disk
drive.

   This also implies that it might be possible to interface a 720K 3.25"
floppy disk to the system as well...?  Hmmm, I wonder if I can 'hack'
2 floppies onto this box?  <GRIN>  Any Suggestions???

    I will run like this for the next few weeks, and verify that this sucker
is in fact working perfectly.  If anyone has managed to get two floppies
drives interfaced, I would really be interested in heaaring about it!  If
it is possible, I can see myself interfacing a 720K 3.25" drive as a second
disk drive.

     The 'exact' drive I am using is a Panasonic JU-475-2AGJ drive, and all
did was move the DC jumper to RDY, and moved the CX jumper over to BX.  The
drive must setup to use Drive Select 0, and the terminating resistor MUST be
installed.  If you are not that great in the 'hardware' department, then I
suggest you do not try this....

Cheers......

                                              oneb!hakatac!rthomas

--- FD 1.99c
 * Origin: Sir Hackalot's Lair (89:684/1)
--
        Robb Thomas - via IMEx node 89:681/1
        Robb.Thomas at f1.n684.z89.onebdos.UUCP